- How can I care for my leather bag?
While new, you may moisturize your bag with a leather conditioner to keep it supple. Pour a very small amount on a soft cloth and apply all over to keep the surface appearance even. Use a leather-specific protectant spray for additional protection against rain and stains. Hold the spray can at least 3 feet away from the bag. TEST all products first in an inconspicuous place on the bag.
- How can I care for my canvas bag?
Our canvas bags are machine washable in cold water on gentle cycle with a small amount of mild detergent. Pre-treat deep stains with a laundry stain remover. Wash separately. Never use hot water. Reshape and hang to air dry out of bright sunlight. Do not machine dry.
- Overall Care Philosophy
At 49 Square Miles, we take a more philosophical approach to product care rather than a prescriptive approach. As such, we purposefully do not choose to suggest specific leather care or cleaning products; instead we guide you with tips and considerations.
Most of our products are vegetable tanned or naturally treated leather, so they have a “naked finish,” meaning they are not heavily processed with chemicals. This is why 49 Square Miles products feel, smell, and look fabulous and will grow more beautiful as they age. In fact, this is an important distinction with our products – it is natural for their look to change over time. An elegant “patina” will emerge, creating a whole new, natural dimension to your product. Our products are intended to adapt and absorb your life, making it completely your own. They are meant to service you and to bring you joy.
Thus, we believe that often times the best method is to keep it simple by not using anything on the products and to wipe them with a clean, dry cloth, when needed.
Here are a few tips we have learned over time in caring for our products:
- Remove stains as soon as you notice them.
- Keep your products out of direct sunlight.
- When not in use, store your product it in its dust bag or an old pillowcase – do not use plastic.
- Do not expose your product to perfumes, hairsprays or other cosmetics.
- Do not put very sharp objects inside your bag.
- Hand sanitizer, baby wipes and other cleaning cloths will permanently discolor the bag.
- Avoid setting your bag down on the floor.
- Ink, certain foods, and oily substances may permanently stain the product.
- Keep chewing gum away from your product, especially calf hair.
- Keep dry from the rain.
- Be aware of light colored products with dark denim, as the indigo dye may rub off on your product.
If you do wish to treat or clean your 49 Square Miles product, we always recommend you to consult with a high quality shoe repair shop or cobbler, as each material type may require a different treatment. However, be sure to TEST the recommended conditioner or protectant on the bottom or on the inside leather portion of the product (for a sprays, mask off a small square with towels and test). This will ensure it is safe to use on the whole product without discoloration.
- When will my order ship?
- When can I expect to receive my order?
- Do you ship to PO boxes?
Unfortunately, we are unable to ship to PO boxes, but we do ship to all 50 states. An upcharge of $35 is added for shipments to Hawaii and Alaska.
- Do you ship internationally?
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in placing an international order.
- What is your return policy?
All orders can be returned within 30 days as long as the item is unworn and in its original condition. You’ll receive a full refund minus the cost of shipping.
- How can I get a return label?
Please email us at email@example.com with your order number and we can provide you with a label.
- Can I exchange my item for a different size or style?
Yes! Feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for help in exchanging your items.